Skip to main content

Things God Has Taught Me This Year



In the times you've been given something you don't deserve, no matter what it may be, you don't have to reject it. Learn to accept gifts and grace with gratitude.

Instead of apologizing for every little mistake, thank people for their patience, for their kindness, for their commitment. If you can't do much, then simply let them know what an positive impact they've had on you.

You don't have to punish yourself for sinning. Earlier this week, my pastor spoke about the ways in which we atone for hurting those we care about. You can't take back things you've said, and undo damage you've done. Similarly, when you sin against God - or anyone, punishing yourself in any way is not the proper solution. If you've apologized, the next step is rebuilding the relationship, working to avoid making the same mistake before. It's in the past. Your sin is covered, Jesus has paid the price for your sin. It is not your job to see to your consequence.

Please do avoid things that affect your mental illness. I understand sometimes that there seems no relief, or remedy but sometimes I catch myself reading old messages and watching things that have put me on edge. I catch myself holding off on doing things until the last moment, staying up late when I really could be sleeping. Please don't fallback into old habits.

Try to generate new, healthier habits. Read more, write more, sketch more. Bike ride, or run, pick up a new skill, as abstract as it may be. I know what's like to need a distraction to keep myself from overthinking.

Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Do not isolate yourself, please. I've actually recently found out that it's unhealthy with those dealing with anxiety to withdraw. Oops. This is the summer where we got to focus on reaching out and not dropping off the face of the earth. Learning to create things with others, opening up, and being blessed with the fellowship that we as humans so desperately need. (as much as we think we don't.)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Labor

But it would be so easy to” -  but we are not called to do what’s easy.  There is none other like it. Sin calls us away from all other good things, our time, our energy, our strength, our allegiance. Sin is one which further brands something deep within our skin, and while we are covered by grace, the word ‘sinner’ seems more applicable than ever while we’re giving in to it. It (sin) seems then to be the whole of our identity. I wish I could tell you how much I've struggled with this, how often I have let sin take the upper hand. Short lived relief is avoiding it . Whatever it may be.  He has called us to a greater light. Anything greater than what we have, than the basic requires a struggle. Forgiveness of sins requires a sacrifice. Victory requires defeat. A peace requires knowing fear.   We are to take hold of the moments we have, with a white knuckled grip. Sin is always a pressing thing, one shining in its momentary glory, promising o...

On Writing, this Year

Setting goals and making schedules is a new thing I'm working on this year, these are just a few off the top of my head. Finishing GRAVES, a Christian Crime Novel I've about a third way done writing. Beginning a new novel, and finishing that this year. Editing GRAVES. Blogging once a month, at least. Reading two to three books per month. Expanding the variety of what I read. Getting to know more bloggers !

Book Review - Before We Were Yours

Before We Were Yours - A Review This week, I'm reviewing Lisa Wingate's novel, Before We Were Yours.  The novel is one of her latest, and the first of hers that I've read. Wingate's experience as a journalist lends itself here in this thrilling mystery, interwoven with humor, spunk, and many heartfelt moments.  You can find more information here or here . Or simply read below the cut.